You’ve heard it a million times – breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Start your day off right with a delicious and nutritious recipe like this Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Avocado Burrito. It’s so good you won’t even think about skipping breakfast!
Makes six burritos.
- 6 low-carb whole wheat tortillas
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 15oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- A few dashes of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Whites from 8 large eggs
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican or Colby-jack cheese
- 1/3 cup red enchilada sauce
- Cook sweet potatoes – Pierce sweet potatoes a few times with a fork. Place in microwave and cook on high for 4-6 minutes, or until cooked through. This may take up to 10 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes. Alternatively, you can cook them in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Mash sweet potatoes – Once sweet potatoes are cooked, remove the skins and place the meat of the potatoes in a bowl. Mash with a fork and set aside.
- Combine other ingredients – In a separate large bowl, add black beans, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes (optional). Stir to combine. Set aside. In a separate medium bowl, beat egg whites together.
- Cook eggs – Spray a skillet with nonstick spray and place over medium-low heat. Add egg whites and cook. Fold every few minutes to get fluffy eggs. Once cooked, remove from heat.
- Warm up tortillas – Place the tortillas on a wet paper towel, folding the edges under them. Warm the tortillas in the microwave for 10-20 seconds.
- Assemble – Lay out the warm tortillas and spread the mashed sweet potatoes on each. Evenly distribute the egg whites, diced avocado, black beans and shredded cheese. Next, drizzle about a tablespoon of enchilada sauce on each. Tuck ends in and roll up the burritos.
If you’re prepping the burritos to eat later, make the entire recipe, then wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap, wrap them again in foil and put them in the freezer. The burritos are easy to reheat in the microwave on busy mornings, or nights when you’re not up to making dinner. Remove the foil and plastic wrap and microwave until warm, about 2-3 minutes. You can also reheat them in the oven. Place on a baking sheet at 300 degrees for 5-10 minutes.
Try dipping them in Greek yogurt, low-fat sour cream or hot sauce! For a vegetarian version, simply leave out the eggs.
Nutrition Facts (per
Calories – 297
Protein – 20g
Carbs – 46.2g
Fat – 9g
Fiber – 20g
*Based on the use of low-carb tortillas.